Friday, December 18, 2009

3+ weeks with the twins...

Ok--it's been a awhile--I guess I have been a little busy :) So, the babies are almost 4 weeks old already--time is flying by, of course. I thought I'd post my uneventful birth story and a few pics, while Will is in the sling, nursing. I am home alone with all 4 of my kids today, for the first time since they were born, as my mom went home. So far, we are surviving... So, the story... I went in for my 37 week appt, on the monday before t-giving. This was when I had been hoping to have them, all along, b/c it was the holiday week and my kindergartener didn't' have school all week, and my DH had a few days off, too. But they wouldn't schedule me this early, so I Was scheduled for my c/s the next monday. Anyway, my DH and I went to my MFM appt at 8:30, for a cord-flow doppler study and NST, as the babies were measuring pretty significantly different weights the week before (A was 5-1 and B was 6-10 they thought :) Anyway, everything looked fine at the MFM appt, but I did have a bit more protein in my urine, so they were asking about any other symptoms for pre-e, but I had none. Even my BP was very low still, as always. So, home we went. My DH works in the city, and takes the train there, about an hour ride, so he decided to head into work at that point, instead of going to my OB appt at 10:30, b/c I said they would just find all the same results. So off he went, and I went to my appt. Well, my OB didn't like th e protein in my urine, and didn't want to wait around a fe w more days to see if it turned into full-blown pre-e. So he says, "when was the last time you ate or drank?" I was surprised by this, and didn't make the connection that he meant he wanted to deliver them that day! But I had just eaten and drank water before the appt, so he said to take my time, get my kids set up withe childcare, etc, and to head to the hospital later that day for my c/s. I was shocked and excited, as this was what I had been hoping for all along. So, I called my DH, who had to turn around and get on the next train home--bummer for him :) Then I headed home, make a million phone calls, showered, cleaned up a bit, hung out with my boys, and went into the hoptial around 4:00. The next 2 hours were surgical prep, and it went very fast. then at 6--into the OR for the c/s. It was quick and easy--I didnt' feel a thing the entire time! IT was so thrilling and emotional when they showed me my babies, born just one minute apart. I was filled with adrenaline after that and felt like my heart was going to beat right out of my chest. It was of course love at first sight--and I cried much more than I had after delivering my other boys. This journey was just so much more long and difficult...but sooo worth it! In recovery, I didn't feel so good and was sick a few times. I tried to nurse Will, but I was too groggy and felt too yucky, so he just went to get cleaned up instead. Later, in my own room, they both nursed like champs! My recovery went really well--I took all the pain med I could get, and was up and about a little on day 2. I sent the babies to the nursery each night, where they had formula (so I could sleep--take it while you can get it, b/c at home you don't' have that option!!!) I stayed 5 days, and went home the day after T-giving. Things at home have been great--hectic at times, but really fun, too. I am in love with my tiny babies and can't wait to get to know them more as they grow. My boys love them--especially my 5 year old. We've had a lot of sickness in the house with my older 2 boys--colds, pink eye, ear infections, croup--with a midnight ER visit--but that;s life with school-aged kids and a closed up winter house. But the babies are healthy as can be, so I am thankful! they have both gained a lot of weight already, too, with my only nursing them. I am thrilled about that, too! The evenings are the roughest, as one or both usually cries inconsolably from 6-9 or 10, but they are sleeping great at night, only waking to eat and then back to sleep. ...Ok, both are stirring now--gotta run.... Sorry for ALL the typos--I tried to catch most, but my brain isn't quite functioning yet... More later! Oh, here's a link to my pics on FB-- Share this album with anyone by sending them this public link:


  1. Hello Kerry!

    congratulations on the birth of your twins! We over at Kelly's Closet/The Cloth Diaper Whisperer were wondering why we haven't heard from you... you were the BIG WINNER for the giveaway on our blog from a couple weeks back for Flip diaper, bumGenius diapers and the Flip video recorder!

    Please contact us as soon as possible so we can get your info and send out your winnings!

  2. Congrats on the birth of your twins! I am so happy to hear that everything went well with the birth. I have been following your blog for a while - my husband and I are expecting twin girls sometime in March. I hope things continue to go well for your family and that you get so much needed sleep...