Tuesday, September 22, 2009

28 weeks and our first *bump* in the road...

Yesterday we had another ultrasound with our MFM doctor's office. Everything is looking great with both babies. Baby A, our little guy, is no longer head down, but feet down, which I could have told them, based on all the kicks I'm getting in parts of my body that don't appreciate them :) Kicks in the bladder or intestines and other such areas are NOT fun! And he's weighing in at 2 lbs, 10 oz, which I am thrilled about! Baby B, our little lady, is still firmly tucked in at the tip-top of my belly, lounging her little body across the top of my uterus--with her feet right next to her brother's head! And I guess life is good for her there, as she's weighing in at a whopping 2 lbs, 14 oz, with a very full tummy and bladder! That's my girl!

We are so happy to have reached this milestone--the THIRD trimester! And with no complications so far :::knock on wood:::

There was some discouraging news though, based on Baby A's placenta, which is still only 2cm away from my cervix. It was exactly like this 4 weeks ago at our last u/s, and the doctor was fairly confident that it would "migrate" away from my cervix as my uterus grew. But apparently, my body had different plans, as the placenta is exactly where it was before. So what does this mean? Well, the doctors will not allow me to try for a vaginal delivery with a low-lying placenta, so if it doesn't move substantially before babies come, I'll be getting a c-section. Now, I know that lots of women have c-sections, and they're not terrible, but I'm really dreading it! I just think that it will be so hard to care for twins while recovering from a c-section, not to mention trying to be a good momma to my other 2 boys. But, I'm sure we will survive it--it just makes me sad to think I won't get experience the ultimate joy of pushing my babies into this world--there's just nothing like it!!!

So, this would mean we'd get to have a scheduled c-section, which would be so nice, as far as preparations and getting help with the boys. but the doctor said it would be scheduled for 39 weeks--what??? I'm not planning on going that long with these twins! I went to exactly 39 weeks with both of my boys--I can't do that with twins! I'm hoping that they are just saying that now, but as we get closer, they'll be able to move it up. Not that I'm looking for complications to arise, but if I'm going to have a c-section, I'd at least like to have it scheduled and not end up going into labor on my own.

The other thing that bums me out about a c-section is that throughout this pregnancy, I have been suffering with a complication called Pelvic Girdle Pain (PGP) which was formerly known as Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction (SPD) in my 2 previous pregnancies. It's a really painful condition where the joint at the front of the pelvis, which is held together by ligaments, starts to separate due to the hormones in your body. This normally happens at the end of the pregnancy, so that the baby can fit through the pelvis. But, for me, it starts very early. So, I develop that pregnant "waddle" very early on, and every movement becomes very painful. Walking is painful, climbing stairs is miserable, and turning over in bed or getting up to standing from laying down are excruciating. So, there is no escape from the pain, except to have the babies. Needless to say, I am really, really ready to have this pain be GONE and feel like myself again. And now, with the impending c-section, it looks like I'll be trading one debilitating pain for another--at least for awhile. And that's a bummer, because I've been so looking forward being able to move around comfortably after the babies arrive. Oh well...it'll get better soon enough.

Ok, that's all for now. I'm going to go try to take some pics right now, as I LOVE seeing the pics of other women who are pregnant with multiples--makes me feel better!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment